Rann Utsav or Rannotsav or white desert festival is a 3 to the 4-month-long festival during winter. It is organized by Gujarat Tourism every year in winter. White Rann (White Desert) is a unique desert of the Great Rann of Kutchh lake. It’s like snow in Winter and Full of water in the monsoon. It’s in Kutchh, around 80 km north of Bhuj which is well connected with the rest of the world. Must visit this place once in a lifetime. I have shared things to do at Rann Utsav, food, frequently asked questions, how to reach, permit, etc.
Things that you want to Know about Rann Utsav
- Rann Utsav is actually the winter season when Gujarat’s desert is feasible to enjoy. During this time, temporary tents were set up by various hoteliers.
- It is located 80 km from Bhuj North . Near Dhordo village.
- The Rann Utsav is a white desert that is made from salt. After the monsoon, when the water dried up, it became salt, and that known as White Rann
- In October and November, the water is still there so December and January is the ideal time to visit it.
- Rannutsav.net is a premium category hotel. But it does not mean Rannutsav.net = Rann Utsav. There are lots of hotels surrounding the white desert. You can still enjoy the activities, children’s park, and many more things as all located outside the rannutsav.net hotel
- White rann visit is only possible during a fixed time like morning and evening. It requires a special permit from the BSF. During the visit or in advance, you can buy it.
- Please note that sunset time is an important time when you can get a sunset view so please check that while entering the desert.
- Alcohol and Non-Veg are not easily available.
I have explained the following topics. Click on the Link to Jump directly to that topic.
- Things to do at RannUtsav
- Duration & Best time to visit Rann utsav
- Location of Rannutsav
- How to reach Rann Utsav or White rann
- Important Tips
- White Rann Permit
- Nearby Places
- Frequently Asked Questions and Its answer
Things to do at Rann Utsav Activities
There are 2 parts to the RannUtsav. White rann experience and another recreation area. White rann has experience is for a limited time early morning and evening. While other recreational areas are open from morning to night.
- White Rann
- Experience and Photography
- Camel Rides
- Snacks at Watchtower
- Full moon view
- Rannutsav Activities
- Children Park
- Adventure Park
- Food stalls
- Shopping stalls
- Helicopter ride
- Para motoring
- Cultural program at Night
- Star Gazing
All the people come here for the white rann to see its beauty. When we visited at that time rain in Winter 🙁 which was rare so all photographs look dull. But in the clear blue sky, it’s an excellent time to capture the memory.
Rann Utsav Activities
All of the following activities you can enjoy even if you have booked a tent city or not. All timing is morning to night.
No entry fees but activities as pay peruse.
Food and Shopping Stalls
Remain open from 9:30 AM to 10 PM
Recently, a helicopter ride started and it takes charge Rs. 5,000 per person for 1 round of 5 to 6 mins. Which will give you an aerial view of the white desert. You can book it from Helipad.
Paramotoring will give you a thrilling experience its cost is around Rs. 3,000 per person for 5 to 6 mins. You can book it from opposite the White Rann Resort.
Duration & Best time to visit Rann Utsav
Every year Gujarat Tourism is organizing Rann Utsav. The date depends on the Full Moon (પૂનમ) and New Moon (અમાસ).
In 2022-2023, Rann Utsav’s date is 26th October 2022 to 20th February 2023
The best time to Visit Rann Utsav on the given date is the Full Moon (પૂનમ) and New Moon (અમાસ). Please check the dates for 2022-2023 here:
Full Moon Night :
7 – 8 – 9 November 2022
7 – 8 – 9 December 2022
5 – 6 – 7 January 2023
4 – 5 – 6 February 2023
New Moon Nights:
22 – 23 – 24 November 2022
22 – 23 – 24 December 2022
20 – 21- 22 January 2023
19 – 20 – 21 February 2023
Regarding permit and rann visiting time, please read below.
There are many options for the stay. When the desert is near there is hard to make Tents for all seasons. There are temporary stays of Tents available and other options are Bhunga stays which are quite popular to experience the local style.
- Tent Stay within 1 Km
- Tent City of Rannutsav
- White Rann Resorts
- Gateway of Rann
- Toran Rann Resort
- Great Rann Resort
- Kutchh Yatra Resort
- Hotel white rann camp
- Gorewali Village Bhunga & Home Stay has the following resort (5 to 7 km)
- Rann star village
- Rann Kandhi Resort
- For hotel and stay
- Rann Rajvi Homestay
- Arvind Home Stay
- Hodka Village Bhunga & home Stay has the following resort (15 to 20 km)
- Kutchh Kraft Kutir Resort
- Desert King Resort
- Banni Village Stay
- Hodka Zeel Resort
- Rann Niwas Village stay
- Rannbhumi Homestay
- Rann Visamo Village Resort
- Hodka Rann Stay
- Dharani Village Resort
- Mahefeel e rann resort
- Royal King Resort
Food & Alcohol
In Kutchh, white rann region food is not available openly on the way. So it’s advisable to take food at the hotel, resort, or Food stall of the Rann Utsav.
Vegetable fresh food is available. Non-Veg food is not easily available.
One thing I have noticed is that local food is very delicious everywhere in Kutchh.
Alcohol is not available anywhere including Rann Utsav. If you traveling from outside Gujarat, you can show your ID and buy from Bhuj from a five-star hotel. But after reaching Rann Utsav there is no availability.
Location of Rannutsav
Rann Utsav or Rann Utsav is Located at Dhordo Town 90 km north of Bhuj in the white desert.
Location – https://goo.gl/maps/zLCM8Y1oDCAxn9Ti8\
- Ahmedabad to Rann Utsav or Ahmedabad to Dhordo – 410 Kms
- From Rajkot – 310 Km
- Bhuj to Dhordo or Rann Utsav – 85 km
How to reach Rann Utsav or White rann
Rann utsav or Rann Utsav has no public transport as of now. Govt is creating Bus stations there. But till then, private vehicles are the only options to reach here.
Bhuj (80 km) is the nearest Railway Station, Airport, and State transport bus station. You can reach Rann Utsav from Bhuj another option is if you coming by private vehicle or your vehicle you can come through Dholavira.
If you have booked at Tent City or any resort, you can ask for the Car. They will arrange pick-up drop from Bhuj.
- You need a permit to visit Whiterann of Rann Utsav. They give a slot of 1 to 2 hours to spend in the white rann. Allowed time to visit in white rann is early morning and evening.
- If you are going through Tent City or White Rann Resort then they will take you to white rann from their buses. Their buses will stop at Parking 1.
- Sometimes, police are not allowing tourist cars or buses to take vehicles from Parking 1 to the Watchtower (1.5 km). At that time, you have to go by local camel cart or by walk. Dealing with Camel cart riders + distance will take lots of time. It’s advisable to reach Parking 1 between 3:30 PM to 4:00 PM.
How to Get Rann Utsav White rann visit Permit
If you have already booked with any resort/hotel, please ask for a permit from the resort. Tent city, White rann resort-like resort covered permit in your tariff. If not, then you can opt for a permit from the following steps.
- Open link https://rannpermit.gujarat.gov.in/
- Press the “Get your permit” button
- Select the date and number of Travellers
- Fill in the name of the person, Vehicle number
- Upload the ID of anyone
- View summary and pay.
- Download the receipt on mobile. Show it to the checkpoint while entering the white rann.
Fees of rann utsav Permit
Free entry for children up to 5 yrs.
Child (Between 6 to 12 Yrs.) – ₹ 50 per person
Above 12 years – ₹ 100 per person
Two-wheeler – ₹ 25 per vehicle
Four-wheeler – ₹ 50 per vehicle
Places to see nearby Rann Utsav or Dhordo village
- Bhingradiya Mavo (Famous for Sweet dish “Mavo”) – 30 km
- Gandhi nu Gam (Famous for handicraft shopping and village) – 35 km
- Kalo Dungar & Magnetic field – 45 km
- Jam Kunariya (Lagan Movie shooting place) – 50 km
- Nirona (for Rogan Arts) – 70 kms
- Kadiya Dhrow (India’s grand canyon) – 80 km
- Bhuj & Bhujodi Vande Matram Memorial and Apparel park – 80kms
- Dholavira (Harappan city) – 90 km (Click here to read more about Dholavira)
- Mata no madh (Ashrapura mandir) – 95 kms
- Lakhpat fort (Ruined fort) – 95 km
- Mandvi (Beach) – 140 km
Frequently Asked Questions about Rann Utsav
Are tent city and Rann Utsav are same?
Answer – No, Tent City and Rann Utsav are different things. The tent city is part of Rann Utsav. It is not necessary to book a tent city to enjoy Rann Utsav. Tourists can enjoy many things in Rann Utsav.
What feature of Rann Utsav I will get if I am not going to tent city?
Answer – You can enjoy the Children’s Park, Adventure park, Food Stalls, and Shopping stalls with our without booking of tent city. Only cultural activities and separate shopping streets of the Tent city cant be accessible if you don’t have a booking for the tent city.
How many hours I can spend at White rann?
Answer – You can spend time from Sunrise to Sunset. But the best time is Sunrise and Sunset. The ideal time is 6 AM to 8 AM in the morning. And 4 PM to Sunset is the best time. Do not go at cut to cut time. Reach at BSF entry gate at least 30 to 60 mins before because there is a long distance to cover after the check-post (Approx 4 km). The best time for the evening to reach Parking 1 (In the given image above) is between 3:30 PM to 4:00 PM.
Is local transportation or private vehicle available?
Answer – Yes but very limited. For the safe side, hire a vehicle from Bhuj or Get from a hotel booking.
Which kind of food is available?
Answer – In food stalls, you can get all kinds of veg. food like Dhosa, Bhel, Pavbhaji, Samosa, Tea Cofee, Sandwiches. In some hotels/resorts, you can get non-veg food. Please cross-check with the hotel/resorts if you prefer only non-veg food.
Is there a Medical shop?
Answer – Only first aid medical service is available for Rann Utsav.
How is the road Condition?
Answer – Excellent
Is rann Utsav safe for family, girls, or solo travelers?
Answer – It’s safe for everyone. The culture and people are really nice and make everyone safe.
How many days are good for enjoying white desert/rann Utsav?
Answer – Minimum 1 day. Maximum 3 days if you want to cover surrounding places like Kalo Dungar, Nirona and Kadiya Dhrow
What are nighttime activities at Rann Utsav?
Answer – Food stalls, Shopping stalls, Adventure zone, Children’s zone remain open at night till 10 PM. Gujarat govt organized the musical event on a special date after 7 pm. You can enjoy that. Also if you stay in the resort, you can enjoy cultural events too.
If you have any questions, Please WhatsApp on the given number below.
Last updated on 11th Nov 2022
Total views of this page : 1,083 views
This blog is part of Pikniks – One or Two Days trips from Ahmedabad- www.pikniks.in
Total views of this page : 1,083 views
To get a quick reply (Within 15 mins) please press the green button given below.